Garlic is a medicinal plant that helps boost the immune system. But, if not properly stored, they can go bad fast and lose their nutritional and health values. Want to retain the nutrients and flavor of your garlic with ease? Keep a healthy body with some of our best garlic keeper in 2021 that will make a perfect addition to your home.
- Top 8 Best Garlic Keeper Available in 2021
- Buying Guide to Choosing a Garlic Keeper
- Factors to Consider Before Buying Your Garlic Pot
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What is a garlic keeper?
- Why should I store my garlic?
- Should I refrigerate my garlic?
- Apart from refrigeration, what method works well to keep my garlic from drying out?
- Are glazed garlic jars better than unglazed ones?
- How many garlic cloves can a garlic jar hold?
- Can I roast garlic with a garlic jar?
- Can I store other ingredients like ginger inside my garlic keeper?
Top 8 Best Garlic Keeper Available in 2021
1. Vinkoe Ceramic Garlic Keeper
Top of our list today is this amazing garlic powered by Vinkoe Kitchen. If you’re looking to get an affordable garlic holder for your kitchen, then this might be the right product for you. This elegant ceramic storage container for garlic features a twelve-vent hole design that ensures proper air circulation. With this design, you easily store your garlic in a cool, dry, and light environment, leaving them fresh for a longer duration.
What’s more, you get to enjoy your money’s worth because this storage container is made with top-notch ceramic material that deters moisture, ensures the longevity of your garlic, and is easy to clean. Likewise, the lid is made with a solid natural bamboo that keeps the garlic protected from a harsh climate like sunlight. But there’s a catch! This product does not do well in ovens.
- Well vented
- Keeps garlic cool and dry
- It comes with a protective lid
- Made of quality ceramic and natural bamboo
- Easy to clean
- Not safe for use in the oven or microwave
2. Norpro Deluxe Stoneware Garlic Keeper
Considering getting an extra-large yet light and portable garlic keeper for your kitchen? This Norpro Deluxe Stoneware Garlic Keeper is an awesome addition to your home. Why? It can fit more than a dozen garlic cloves you want to preserve. This jar has a white color and two artistic garlic cloves engraved on its surface to enhance its aesthetic appeal.
Furthermore, the garlic pot is crafted from nonporous stoneware. Thus, it will last longer than other jars. Another amazing feature of this garlic saver is the tiny vent holes located on the top side of the container. These holes ensure your garlic gets enough air to last long while also preventing sunlight from entering the jar. It also has a protective lid that keeps the jar secured. While most containers absorb moisture, this pot keeps away moisture and odors.
- It can fit a large number of cloves
- Made of nonporous material
- Tiny vent holes for proper air circulation
- Keeps garlic cool and dry
- A protective lid keeps it away from sunlight
- Not microwave and oven safe
One large garlic keeper fitting for a large-sized kitchen. Made of nonporous stoneware and durable lids for proper ventilation.
3. Mud Pie Garlic Keeper
Our third pick for today is this elegant Mud Pie Ceramic Garlic Keeper. This garlic container has a stunning design, construction, price, and performance that will leave your kitchen and countertop dazzling even with its simple appearance.
Made from premium ceramic material, this is one of the best garlic keepers on our list today that will help keep your ingredient fresh for several days and not mess with your garlic’s taste. There’s more! The ceramic material makes it easy to clean. But there’s a catch! This product is not dishwasher safe. Washing is best done with hands.
Aside from this, the container comes with an accompanying lid with a total dimension of 3inches. This lid is made from wood and has various holes pierced on it to enhance airflow. While these top-notch features may make this product seem quite expensive, you want to know that this jar is not high-priced.
- Solid build
- Excellent design
- Ensures proper airflow with vent holes
- It comes with a wooden lid
- Medium-sized capacity
- Not dishwasher safe
An elegant garlic keeper with a unique build. Yet, relatively low-priced. Add a refreshing addition to your kitchen countertop.
4. Henry Watson Garlic Keeper
Last, on our list, today is this simple yet highly functional terracotta garlic keeper. A pot deal for both humid and dry atmosphere as it keeps the garlic from sprouting and decay. Added to this, it comes with a well-fitted lid that ensures no light gets into the pot. Likewise, the air holes crafts at the backside of the pot keep your garlic dry and in good shape for days.
- Superior craftsmanship
- Simplistic and compact
- Dishwasher safe
- May absorb some garlic odor over time
Overall, this pot has a simplistic yet elegant, classy, and durable feel, perfect for storing your garlic cloves for a long period.
5. Fox Run Garlic Keeper
This garlic keeper knows how to do it best when it comes to unique craftsmanship, build, superiority, and affordability. This stunning garlic container is fashioned from high-quality soft ceramic stoneware, with its unglazed look gives it an aesthetically appealing feel. That’s not all! A uniquely crafted garlic-shaped handle on each side of the jar helps you easily carry, hold, and move the container.
Like most quality ceramic makes, its nonporous nature means your pot will be well ventilated. Thereby keeping the garlic cool and dry for several days.
- Does not retain odor
- Moisture repellant
- It has numerous air holes underneath the jar for optimal airflow
- It comes with protective ceramic lids
- It has an unglazed look
- Does not work well in the oven
A ceramic pot for your pizza, candy, and many other dishes. Built with superior craftsmanship and made from the finest of ceramic stoneware to keep your garlic protected.
6. Snips Garlic Keeper
Liven up your kitchen with this Italian-style pizza and pasta pot from Snips. If you’re going for durability and long-lasting, this jar may be your go-to choose. It has a transparent bottom that is made from 100% high-quality plastic material. While the container is well vented, it still retains some moisture due to its make from a recyclable plastic material. But more than this, the vented holes keep away stale odor from your kitchen. However, it can fit large-sized garlic.
- Large enough to fit dozen garlic cloves
- Made from high-grade plastic
- Finely constructed vent holes for proper airflow
- Retains some amount of moisture
One of the best plastic garlic keepers in the market. Dishwasher-friendly, toxin-free, durable, and large vent holes for air circulation.
7. KitchenCraft Vintage-Style Garlic Keeper
Need a cool and refreshing environment for your garlic? This model from KitchenCraft comes with vent holes and a perfectly designed lid to keep away your garlic from sunlight, cold, and moisture. This model is designed to look traditional with its rustic cream paint. But, while the traditional look may not suit every kitchen, this garlic keeper creates the perfect cool and dry atmosphere to store your garlic.
- The lid protects the garlic bulbs from sunlight
- Vent holes help to eliminate moisture
- Traditional design
- Made with the finest ceramic stoneware
- Aesthetically appealing
- It may not work well in your modern kitchen
A traditionally designed ceramic garlic keeper to keep your garlic fresh all day long.
8. Joie Terracotta Garlic Keeper
Moving on is this exclusive piece from Joie. The most eye-catching feature of this jar is its terracotta build which is gotten from raw clay. Since terracotta is gotten through rigorous sculpting and heating process, this terracotta stoneware is sure to be durable and long-lasting.
Interestingly, the terracotta build gives the container a traditional look that adds a unique touch to your kitchen and absorbs moisture to prevent molds and decay in a damp atmosphere. The vents also play a vital role in sculpting this unique pot as it helps to reduce the garlic odor.
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Keeps away moisture
- Keeps garlic fresh for longer
- Made from exceptional terracotta build
- Glazed outside
- Not dishwasher-friendly
Overall, an aesthetically appealing garlic pot with a strainer for everyone. Keeps your garlic cloves fresh for several days.
Buying Guide to Choosing a Garlic Keeper
If you love cooking, you must have come to a point where your cooking ingredients went bad. Garlic is one ingredient you want to preserve well as it doesn’t last for ages and easily gets bad. Getting a garlic keeper will help prolong its lifespan. But how does this work? Let’s find out.
Fun Facts of a Garlic Keeper?
Thinking of getting a garlic keeper but curious as to what it offers? While it may seem relatively easy to figure out why garlic keepers are essential, there are quite a few layers of benefits you may not know about due to its unique nature from other species of the Alliums families. Here’s why they’re useful.
- Get rids of Moisture: Garlic easily spoils in a moist environment. Why? When left in a damp area, mold quickly grows on it, and it starts to decay. Using a garlic keeper that deters moisture ensures that the garlic is well vented. A garlic keeper is ideal because it has a cold and dry space that allows sufficient airflow to enter needed by your herb. Hence, keeping it in the best form for a long time.
- Stops Bulbs from Sprouting: When garlic cloves are kept in a cold environment, the bulbs will keep sprouting. You want to avoid the cold climate and put it somewhere dark and cool to preserve your garlic.
- Prevents Damage from Harsh Climate: A good garlic keeper keeps away the cloves from heat sources and sunlight.
Why Store Your Garlic?
Garlic adds a unique flavor to a variety of dishes. But, apart from this, you enjoy several health benefits with a constant intake of these widely-used herbs. Did you know that garlic contains essential nutrients like calcium, folate, iron, niacin, vitamin C, phosphorous, and magnesium? Don’t you think so?
Storing garlic will help you save these nutrients that can potentially work to reduce blood sugar levels, aid digestion, reduce gas, boosting metabolism to support weight loss, and lower high blood pressure. Added to this, the antibacterial and antiviral properties in your garlic helps to relieve cold symptoms.
Factors to Consider Before Buying Your Garlic Pot
Are you looking for a good garlic keeper to keep your gloves from drying out? Then, you want to consider finding the right quality garlic pot to suit your budget. Some features to consider will include:
Garlic keepers are made with different materials. While some are perfect for preserving your garlic, some just do not work. However, even good materials have their pros and cons. Some good materials used in making your garlic jar include:
- Terracotta: This is one of the best materials used in making a garlic jar as it is unglazed porous. Meaning that it is gotten from fried clay. Terracotta keepers easily absorb moisture. Thereby keeping your garlic from gathering molds. Likewise, it can absorb garlic odor and leaves your kitchen free from lingering garlic smell. While terracotta may easily preserve the garlic, the baked clay surface does not look aesthetically appealing. If you are thinking artistic and quality, you may have to consider getting another garlic jar.
- Ceramic: apart from terracotta, ceramic garlic keepers are durable, solid, and are popular among garlic users. But, unlike the terracotta, you can get both the glazed and unglazed ceramics jars. Where the glazed ceramics are made stain-free, look neat, elegant and are less prone to chipping, the unglazed ceramic keepers easily chip and crack.
- Stoneware: Another elegant garlic keeper made with nonporous material is the stoneware. Like the ceramic keepers, stoneware materials repel moisture and keeps the garlic odor away from your kitchen.
- Plastic: You can also get garlic keepers made from plastic in the market today. These materials are lightweight and portable. However, they do not absorb moisture and do not appear as aesthetically pleasing as the ceramic ones.
- Metal: another garlic keeper you want to consider is those made from metals. Although these jars are not as popular as the others, they work exceptionally for lovers of vintage collections.
When it comes to preserving your garlic, proper air circulation is key as it keeps your garlic in good conditions. When getting your garlic keeper, understand that your jar should be properly vented no matter the material, especially when using jars made with nonporous materials. Poor ventilation causes the jar to become moisture-filled or too hot. Thereby causing mold to form and damage your garlic. To know a jar with good ventilation, check the jar surface for ventilation holes that are large enough to provide sufficient airflow.
In choosing your garlic keeper, size and capacity matter a lot. Your jar size will depend on the number of garlic gloves you plan to preserve. If you need a crock to store a little number of garlic for not more than two days, then a jar of the small size should work perfectly for you. On the other hand, if you keep garlic in stock, go for something bigger to accommodate them.
Likewise, you want to consider the storage space for your garlic keeper before picking one for your kitchen. If you plan on keeping it on your kitchen counter with little to no space, you want to opt for a portable and compact-sized jar your bulbs can fit in.
Today, the industry offers a wide variety of artful and good-looking garlic-keepers, which may make it difficult for you to choose one. But, depending on what your living space looks like, you want to choose a jar that will add a unique touch to your home. While terracottas are strong and durable, they are not ideal for a modern-day kitchen. A good lid should be designed to be easy to take off and put back with ease. It is also important to consider the design of the lid for heavier garlic keepers.
Trying to preserve your garlic but doing so without a lid covering the jar, then your efforts may be pointless. Why? Harsh climate conditions damage the effectiveness of your garlic and opening the jar will expose your cloves to harsh sunlight. To protect your ingredient from sunlight, you want to get a garlic pot fashioned with a lid. Apart from this, the lid helps to deflect any liquid or dust particles from falling into your jar.
Storing your garlic bulbs in a container without a protective lid would be meaningless. Why? Harsh climate like sunlight can ruin the garlic cloves. Apart from this, liquid and debris can fall into the jar. To protect these bulbs, it is best to get a garlic pot that comes with a protective lid.
Ease of Cleaning
The level of convenience you enjoy when cleaning your jar is one other factor to consider when purchasing your garlic keeper. This is why it is best to get a jar that is dishwasher safe. For ceramic and terracotta stoneware, it is best to hand-wash.
The last thing to put in mind is your finances. Getting a model past your budget can leave a hole in your pocket. Fortunately, the cost of getting a good quality garlic keeper is not that high. All the models listed above are inexpensive yet exceptional.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a garlic keeper?
A garlic keeper is a distinctive jar-like container that keeps the heads of your garlic fresh and protected for long. This container is designed with air vents and moisture-absorbing materials for a longer lifespan. Some of the most popular garlic keepers are made from ceramic and terracotta.
Why should I store my garlic?
Garlic is one medicinal spice with numerous health benefits attached to its use. However, you only enjoy these benefits when they are fresh. A clove of dried-out garlic will not provide the same benefits as its fresh counterpart. For this purpose, you want to store this medicinal spice perfectly. A garlic keeper helps you save the nutrients and flavor of the cloves for up to twenty-five days.
Should I refrigerate my garlic?
Garlic requires proper air circulation to keep them fresh for a long, and one of the best ways to store garlic is to refrigerate them. However, they may not stay fresh for long because of the humid refrigerated environment. While peeled garlic works well when refrigerated, the unpeeled cloves work best in room temperature conditions. Hence, they do not require refrigeration.
Apart from refrigeration, what method works well to keep my garlic from drying out?
Storing them in a garlic keeper will keep them protected and fresh at all times. This jar keeps the garlic away from external factors like harsh light and damp environments.
Are glazed garlic jars better than unglazed ones?
The answer is no. Unglazed garlic keepers are better than glazed ones because they do not preserve moisture. On the other hand, the glazed counterparts may retain some moisture as they are not well vented. It may cause mold to grow on your garlic, leading to quick decay.
How many garlic cloves can a garlic jar hold?
It will depend entirely on the jar size you choose. Some garlic keepers can contain many garlic cloves, while some can only hold a smaller quantity.
Can I roast garlic with a garlic jar?
While some garlic keepers can handle micro-oven heating, most cannot manage the hot temperature. If you’re considering roasting your garlic, you want to consider using another stronger, sturdy, and more durable equipment.
Can I store other ingredients like ginger inside my garlic keeper?
You don’t want to do so since one of your ingredients may spoil. Garlic keepers are specially designed to house the garlic herb and no other ingredients.
Garlic is a medicinal root that keeps healthy body diseases free. However, only fresh garlic is likely to have these nutritional health benefits. Preserving them can be difficult as they are often prone to harsh weather conditions, and even storing them in the refrigerator can be risky. Hence, getting the best garlic keeper available in 2021 will keep your cloves refreshed for days without them drying out.